Yesterday, at the Jerusalem Congress Centre, over a thousand Israeli citizens - in majority young university students of different ethnics including Arabs – welcomed Barak OBAMA and applauded his address with utmost warmth and shared enthusiasm.. Because he ‘seemed’ authentically franc and open while presenting ‘his’ administration’s understanding of the “Palestinian Issue” by far forgotten and by now commonly referred to as the “Arab/Israeli Conflict”.
In doing so, the American President started by a strong statement by clearly confirming that “considering the strong ties between our two nations, we believe that your future is bound to our future”. And to define the areas where both countries could collaborate to ensure such a common future, he outlined three indisputable principles: “Security, Peace, and Prosperity”.
And here the American President started to climb on the mirrors, trying to satisfy both sides by playing the role of an “honest broker”.. What a pathetic performance Mr. President, you do know as much as we are that there is no such thing as an ‘Honest’ broker.. A broker cares only for ‘his’ interests and profits. Therefore don’t come to Jerusalem and preach peace and prosperity born from the womb of security.
Talking about ‘Security’ you justified the USA’s largely generous investments in the build-up of ‘Iron Dome’ defence systems, so that the Israeli children “.. merit to sleep soundly, not fearing a bomb hitting their bedrooms”; and so “Israel cannot accept missile attacks from Gaza, and that is why WE fought for Israel’s right to defend itself”. You know Mr. President that the Iron Dome System was conceived to defend Israel against the Iranian Ballistic threat, and not to stop the home-made plaster flares.
Addressing the ‘Peace’ issue, you rightfully confirmed it as “Necessary, Just and Possible”, bringing out for the first time words like “Occupation – colonies violence – Palestinian people right for self-determination”.. But as well you couldn’t not to confirm that “…same as Israelis have built a state over their Homeland…”!! Homeland Mr. President? What n unlucky statement.. After describing their existence as ‘occupation’ you back off to say Homeland!!??!!
You cannot hope for peace until the Hamas organisation be considered as it really is: “a resistance movement acting against foreign occupation”.. Clear and simple.. But having to live with the enormous interests involved the USA must recognise and qualify Hamas as a bunch of savage Terrorists and eventually must only be treated as such. So that all the relevant consequences will be acceptable and legitimately classified under the “right of Israel to defend itself”.. Including the ongoing systematic Ethnic Cleansing exercised by the Israeli Armed Forces against the Gaza population.
When the turn came for defining ‘Prosperity’, being designed as the third area of mutual collaboration between Israel and the USA, Mr. Obama’s words praised Israel’s “Talent and Hard work” to bring “this small country at the vanguard of global economy”; thus inviting the audience to “reclaim the future and write the next chapter in the story of this Grand Nation” and that he trusts that they “will help ‘us’ realise this promise” and that he “nourishes the hope that ‘we’ will succeed to draw out the best in ‘us’ to win, after so many wars, the battle for peace, and protect the world”.
Having listened carefully to his speech, I recalled what Mr. Paul Craig Roberts wrote on December 1st 2009 on his blog “Information Clearing House”, out of which I’ll quote the following passages:
· It didn’t take the Israel Lobby very long to bring President Obama to heel regarding his prohibition against further illegal Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian land. Obama discovered that a mere American president is powerless when confronted by the Israel Lobby and that the United States simply is not allowed a Middle East policy separate from Israel’s.
· President Obama can promise that he is going to bring the troops home, and the military lobby says, “No, you are going to send them to Afghanistan, and in the meantime start a war in Pakistan and maneuver Iran into a position that will provide an excuse for a war there, too. Wars are too profitable for us to let you stop them.” And the mere president has to say, “Yes, Sir!”
· Obama can promise health care to 50 million uninsured Americans, but he can’t override the veto of the war lobby and the insurance lobby. The war lobby says its war profits are more important than health care and that the country can’t afford both the “war on terror” and “socialized medicine.”
· The US invasion of Iraq had nothing whatsoever to do with American national interests. It had to do with armaments profits and with eliminating an obstacle to Israeli territorial expansion. The cost of the war, aside from the $3 trillion, was over 4,000 dead Americans, over 30,000 wounded and maimed Americans, tens of thousands of broken American marriages and lost careers, one million dead Iraqis, four million displaced Iraqis, and a destroyed country.
· All of this was done for the profits of the military/security complex and to make a paranoid Israel, armed with 200 nuclear weapons, feel “secure.”
· The same “protectors” of “free speech” had no objection to the Israel Lobby’s passage of the “hate speech” bill, which has criminalized criticism of Israel’s genocidal treatment of the Palestinians and continuing theft of their lands.
The logical outcome of all the above is very simple: Israel being on one hand endorsed, armed and financed by the USA, and on the other hand enjoys the world closed eyes/ears/mouths; will continue to do all what it have to do – unpunished – to fulfill its project, not only on the stolen lands of Palestine, but all over the entire territories of a New Middle East, borders of which were designed through a thorough long mutual collaboration between the two, and its final maps were published back in 2006 at a NATO Joint Chiefs meeting in Europe.
Nevertheless, if the aim is truly “Security, Peace and Prosperity” in Palestine; than the actual sterile negotiations and their “Deaf Partners Talks” tactics should be forced to come to a firm halt, and a new “International Peace Conference” should be held under the United Nations tutorship and inside the Glass Towers in New York. But to achieve such a stage the entire ‘World’ - represented by the state members of the General Assembly - needs to:
I. Re-establish the UN powers by revising its Charter, re-organising its Security Council structure and re-define its functions; in order to regain its initial role as the ‘International Legitimate Peace Keeping Reference' and the only recognised ‘Keeper and Caretaker of Security’; so as to never again abdicate such a grave responsibilities to the whims of its Permanent Seated Members’ interests.
II. Recognise the Palestinian population’s right for their historical dominance over their lands and haves; the right of the Palestinian refugees (from 1948 onwards) to return to their homes, and their right for the free sovereign state they once had some seventy years ago.. At least inside the borders of 1967.
III. Understand that the ‘True, Just and Lasting peace’ motto is not a poet’s dream but a fundamental necessity to establish the needed stability to review the new Globalisation ideology’s parameters in order to guarantee the world’s economic recovery and maybe, I repeat maybe, its prosperity.
However these aspirations could never be implemented.. Why? Because they are not PROFITABLE!
Pass On The Word.
PS: I can hear the drums of a new war slowly getting nearer all the time..
a) Russia, by ordering its Mediterranean fleet to refuel in Lebanon not in Syria, signalled the readiness to evacuate over 30000 Russian citizens out from Syrian territories through the Damascus/Beirut corridor.
b) Israel PM, as an immediate outcome of Obama’s visit, finally concedes and issues a public and official apologise to Turkey, which promptly accepts, with a promise to honour the adequate reconciliatory compensations to the families of the victims of Israel’s attack on the “ALHORREYA” fleet.
c) Obama’s pressures calmed the Palestinian Authority with promises of quick disbursements.
d) Jordan throne agrees to receive more refugees against the American administration financial support.
All this announces the preparation of the regional terrain for the coming conflict destined to “Liberate the Syrian population from their grievances”!! We’ve heard similar statements before the invasions of Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia, Malì, South Sudan... and so on!